Aviation’s Metrics Platform
Aviation executives and operational professionals are asking for metrics that represent meaningful indications of performance – good or bad – and ways to interpret that performance: over time, in relation to goals and objectives, and in relation to their peers. These professionals are increasingly demanding a simpler and more effective way to deal with the mass of information to determine what is important, timely, relevant, and actionable.
PASSUR is a pioneer in the development of data visualization and analysis in the aviation industry, having introduced operational dashboards over 10 years ago. These dashboards aggregate information from multiple public and proprietary sources, distill what’s most important, and present that information in a way that supports meaningful and measurable actions.
PASSUR has now introduced its newest generation of dashboards and analytical tools, starting with the Aviation Industry Performance Tracking and Analysis Dashboard for RTCA – the first industry dashboard for reporting on and analyzing air transportation system performance improvements attributable to the deployment of key NextGen capabilities.
HOW PASSUR SOLUTIONS HELP TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM
Identify the most important problems to target and metrics to report: Understanding which information is important to look for and how it should be presented, to support the most precise and meaningful analysis or action – based on our Aviation Intelligence Center of Excellence team’s extensive experience and background in aviation operations, finance, environment, air traffic management, systems automation, and data visualization.
Data Aggregation and Management: PASSUR aggregates multiple data sets from many different industry sources, including data from the PASSUR network of surveillance systems, airline systems, airport systems, publicly available sources, and multiple third party partners.
Big Data Mining: We integrate, process, and store these multiple data sets to create the necessary information mass that enables:
- Data mining for pattern recognition, statistical analysis, and performance measurements over time;
- Predictive analytics based on past performance;
- Detailed base lining of performance for airlines, airports, airspace, and the entire National Airspace System.
Metrics and Data Visualization: PASSUR is a pioneer in the development of aviation operations dashboards, which simplify, aggregate, and distill extensive information into the most relevant operational and business metrics, presenting them in a way that supports immediate performance assessment and actionable decisions.
- Metrics and data dashboards support real time, predictive, and post-operational needs
- PASSUR dashboards support “management by exception” – allowing only the most relevant or important information to be visualized
Taking care of the “What” and the “Why”: PASSUR dashboards and metrics support a view of both the facts (“what happened”) and contextual interpretation of the facts (“what are possible explanations for why it happened?”).
WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE
- Aviation Intelligence Center of Excellence: Expertise in airline and airport performance as well as in the NAS and NextGen. PASSUR’s team includes leading experts from FAA air traffic control, traffic management, and system operations, plus those from airline and airport traffic management, dispatch, operational performance, finance, and environmental management;
- A unique database of flight, airspace, and airport performance data, largely powered by an independent surveillance network;
- A widely-deployed aviation intelligence solutions platform used by hundreds of industry stakeholders to measure and optimize NAS operations;
- Over 10 years of experience in dashboards and data visualization.
WHAT WE’RE DELIVERING
PASSUR delivers a number of metrics-driven dashboards, including System and Airport Performance, Diversion Management, and Traffic Flow Optimization.
The newest phase of PASSUR metrics and dashboarding is the Industry Performance Tracking and Analysis Dashboard created for RTCA. This is the first industry dashboard for reporting on and analyzing air transportation system performance improvements attributable to the deployment of key NextGen capabilities – a transparent mechanism to collect data, develop the reports in a dashboard, provide the ability to analyze the results, to determine the success of the recent NAS improvements and in cases where the benefits are not as expected, to discover and mitigate the underlying issues. The goal is for the FAA and industry to arrive at a common statement of performance.
INITIAL METRICS FOR THE RTCA DASHBOARD
Airport Metrics: Throughput, Taxi-Out Time, Total Delays
City Pair Metrics: Actual Block Time, Actual Distance Flown, Estimated Fuel Burned
OTHER METRICS TRACKED ON PASSUR DASHBOARDS
- Arrival rate and departure rate (throughput-facility reported capacity rates)
- Holding (number and specific identity of aircraft holding)
- Arrival efficiency score, based on assessment of required wake turbulence spacing
- Current and anticipated GDP rates by hour
- Arrival demand (calculated as a fusion of schedule, flight plan, actual wheels up, and estimated time of arrival)
- # Flights in a holding stack, including all airlines, by altitude
- Current average hold times
- Actual hold times by flight
- Cumulative hold times if flight held at multiple fixes
- # of flights that recently left the hold
- Diversions en route
- Diversions on the ground—shows the “diversion saturation status” of all airports that currently have diversions for all carriers/operators
- Surface dwell times/transit times by surface “region of interest”
- OUT to OFF Times (actual block time) (taxi-out time) (gate departure time)
- ON to IN Times
- OUT to OFF Times By Runway
- ON to IN Times By Runway
- Departure Queue by Fix (aircraft in queue)
- Departure Queue by Fix (minutes in queue)
- Arrivals per Hour
- Departures per Hour
- Airport Efficiency (aggregate) (%)
- Arrival Runway Efficiency by Runway (%)
- Departure Runway Efficiency by Runway (%)
- TSA wait times
- Diversions to an airport/diversions away from an airport
- Runways in use/runways used by flight