Surface Metering and Sequencing
Uncoordinated arrival and departure sequencing at constrained airports with today’s “first-come, first-served” policy creates unacceptable delays and disruptions, and ignores airline and airport business objectives. PASSUR Surface Metering and Sequencing enables airports to maximize the use of existing resources and demonstrate proactive, forward-thinking management of the operation on behalf of airlines and travelers.
- At one hub airport, the implementation of departure metering was estimated to save from $10 to $15 million in fuel costs.
PASSUR launched its newest version of Surface Optimization at Fort Lauderdale International Airport, applicable to all airports where demand is growing and the capacity of existing infrastructure is highly constrained. The PASSUR solution delivers new efficiencies at a fraction of the cost of major capital investments, by ensuring that:
- Arriving aircraft are promptly assigned a gate
- All available airport resources are being optimized
- Passengers experience a quick and seamless travel experience
- FLL and all of its key operational stakeholders, including airlines, are coordinating their actions by sharing timely, automated information about the status of arriving aircraft and surface traffic movements.
This integrated solution is an important step toward Airport Collaborative Decision Making (A-CDM) in North America, which enables all key stakeholders to collaborate and coordinate on a common operating platform to prioritize high-value flights, reduce the number of aircraft waiting to take off, and sequence arrivals and departures to and from gate assignments.
HOW PASSUR SOLUTIONS HELP TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM
PASSUR Metering and Sequencing allows airlines and airports to prioritize high-value flights, reduce the number of aircraft waiting to take off, reduce gate holds, and order arrivals and departures to most efficiently use gates.
WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE
With the most deployments in the most diverse number of configurations in North America, PASSUR has led the industry in the development of departure and arrival metering and sequencing solutions designed to optimize commercial operational and business priorities. PASSUR solutions offer unmatched accuracy in forecasting demand and capacity, ensuring that the metering and sequencing programs are optimized for anticipated conditions.
KEY METRICS IMPROVED
- Schedule integrity for high-value flights
- Fewer minutes of delay
- Fewer minutes of taxi-out fuel burn
- Deconflict aircraft tows to/from gates
- Higher gate utilization
- Higher connection rates (bags, passengers, crew)
- Lower fuel costs and emissions
- Reduced risk of DOT tarmac delay fines
WHAT THE AIRPORT WILL DO DIFFERENTLY
Typically, airports are the sponsoring organizations for airport-wide metering programs. These programs range from simply providing the license to the service, to actively participating in aspects of the metering program (e.g., monitoring performance), to actively managing the slot program itself.
WHAT THE AIRLINES WILL DO DIFFERENTLY
Using PASSUR’s collaborative metering and sequencing software, airlines can coordinate with air traffic control (ATC), ground operations, and all other airlines to maximize the available gate, ramp, runway, and departure fix capacity.
Variants of this program, pioneered by PASSUR in North America, is now in use at several of the largest airports in North America.
SNAPSHOT CASE STUDIES
Annual benefits from PASSUR Surface Metering and Sequencing at a major US airport:
- 14,800 hours total reduced taxi time
- $11 million savings in fuel costs
- 48,000 tons reduced emissions