AT A GLANCE
NextGen, the ambitious national plan to redesign the US air traffic management system, succeeds best when it generates financial and operational support from the airlines and other key National Air Space (NAS) users and stakeholders, when its benefits can be monetized, and when both government and industry agree on a common set of metrics by which to measure and report on progress.
- PASSUR’s platform is used by hundreds of commercial organizations, including the largest airlines and many airports. PASSUR understands what is important to airlines and how they measure operational success.
- On PASSUR’s platform, airlines evaluate and optimize NAS performance on a regular basis.
- Many of the NAS procedures optimized by PASSUR Integrated Traffic Management directly impact NextGen and airline metrics.
- PASSUR can communicate the status and benefits of NextGen using the same platform and metrics for both the FAA and the airlines.
HOW PASSUR SOLUTIONS HELP TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM
As a trusted third party, PASSUR gives operators the ability to get the most out of today’s air traffic management system, while bridging the needs of operators and government aviation agencies through collaborative information exchange, shared procedures, and common operating metrics.
WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE
Several of PASSUR’s core capabilities developed for the commercial sector have either been incorporated into key NextGen program requirements, or are part of commercial solutions that achieve NextGen objectives. PASSUR’s experience deploying NAS optimization programs, best practices, and technologies for the commercial sector that have parallel NextGen counterparts is unique. These commercial solutions have allowed operators to extract maximum value and capacity from today’s infrastructure while creating business and operational case studies for several core NextGen programs.
KEY METRICS IMPROVED
- Surface operations
- Optimized approaches
- Arrival and departure flow rates
- Reduced carbon emissions
WHAT THE INDUSTRY WILL DO DIFFERENTLY
- Measure NextGen performance and outcomes with commonly accepted, shared metrics.
- Monetize and create a solid financial footing for NextGen investments.
- Ensure that the most value is extracted from the current infrastructure while targeting key improvements that can only be accomplished through NextGen.
- Ensure that NextGen programs reflect commercial operators’ needs, proven experience, and business priorities.
- More than 60 airports and all of the largest North American airlines use PASSUR Integrated Traffic Management (PITM) to optimize flight operations in the current NAS environment while helping to create the case for forward-looking NextGen programs and investments.
- The FAA, through sponsorship from airlines and airports, has interacted with PITM solutions in a collaborative process with airlines and airports.
SNAPSHOT CASE STUDIES
- PASSUR’s Surface Metering and Sequencing program at JFK International Airport was cited by the FAA as a signature NextGen success in its 2012 annual report.
- PASSUR’s uniquely accurate flight prediction, airport configuration, and arrival and departure flow rate prediction algorithms are critical to making future Trajectory Based Operations (TBO) – a cornerstone NextGen concept – a reality.